You Are Reading

More love for Kon in NY


New York Kon benefit going down tonight. This from Cosmo Baker:

It was great to see so many of our friends come out and party with us at The Rub this past Saturday. It's one of those things where I look out and I see in the front row, a bunch of my friends from Finland dancing to Fela Kuti "Water Get No Enemy" while Talib Kweli is hosting on the mic behind me... only in Brooklyn, right?

Anyway, our good friend Kon (from Kon & Amir) has been sick and in the hospital for the past several weeks. Kon is an amazing guy with an incredible connection to music, being a world renowned crate digger as well as one of the best DJs in the country. But as you could probably guess, most DJs are independent contractors who do not have access to affordable health insurance. If you're lucky, you end up paying an arm and a leg for proper coverage, but for the most part you just don't have it. I learned the hard way 10 years ago when I was in a car accident and had to spend several months in the hospital. I didn't have coverage at the time, and my bills were several hundred thousands dollars. I was out of work, could not spin for a long time, so I had no benefits or coverage to take care of me. Thankfully through my dear friends and the community of Philadelphia, a benefit was thrown that raised enough money for me to get back on my feet. Hopefully we can do the same for our friend Kon here...

- Thursday, September 10th, 2009
Giant Step & DJ Spinna Present
Journey: A Benefit for Kon
Acclaimed DJ, legendary digger and our good friend Kon (of Kon & Amir fame) has been hospitalized lately which has left his pockets flat, not fat. We want to try and help him out while he's down out of the game, so please come out and support him a this benefit. Spinning on the set are

DJ SPINNA
RICH MEDINA
ELI ESCOBAR
COSMO BAKER
DJ SCRATCH
& AMIR

$10 suggested donation / 2 for 1 drinks from 10 PM - 12 AM
100% OF PROCEEDS GO TO KON
@ Santos Party House - 100 Lafayette St. - New York, NY

Comments for this entry

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.